Wonderful, Wonderful Books

One of the joys of retirement is that I get
to read more than I did when I was
working full time.
For those of you who know how much
I love to read, that might seem impossible, but it is true.
My friend Debi recommended
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
With a title like that, how could I refuse?
As a lover of historical fiction, this book was
a joy to read. It combined history of the
aftermath of WWII on the beautiful
British island of Guernsey. That sounds dreary, but
the book is anything but dreary. It is fun, beautifully
written and very romantic.
It also deals a great deal with books that people love.
I'll let you find out how that all combines for a great read.
Finally, since my first love is children's literature,
I was fascinated to find this note from the author of
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society,
Mary Ann Shaffer. "I must tender
special thanks to my niece, Annie, who stepped in to
finish this book after unexpected health issues interrupted
my ability to work shortly after the manuscript
was sold." Ms. Shaffer's niece, Annie, is
Annie Bowers, the author of the children's
series, Ivy and Bean as well as The Magic Half.

Book Covers courtesy of Follett Library Services

Comments

Supermom said…
I doubt the local library here has that one, but I will see. I have been reading friends book suggestions for the last couple of months...super fun!
i have so many people recommend
the war memoir book. will really
have to read it.

thank you for the gentle nudge.
I thought you would enjoy it. Historical fiction and biographies are some of my favorite reads. Feel like I'm learning something as I read. Have you read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan? Another great book for a friend to recommend to a friend.

Love,
Debi
Miss G said…
This looks good! Did you get it at the library? I think I'd like to read it. Kelly
Unknown said…
My mom recommended The Guernsay Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society to me, and boy was I glad she did! With a lighter class load while studying abroad I've been able to read more as well, and one of my most exciting discoveries is that I frequently get to visit or have visited places that I'm reading about!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Present from a Friend

Skippyjon Jones and Kohl's

Swing High, Swing Low