Book Review--Here is New York by E.B. White


Here Is New YorkHere Is New York by E.B. White
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My favorite Children's Book of all time is Charlotte's Web.  I noticed a little book on my daughter's bookshelf entitled HERE IS NEW YORK by E. B. White, the same author.  It was published in 1949 (before Charlotte's Web but after Stuart Little).  I knew White was an essayist, but I had never read one of his essays.  This one was fascinating and somewhat prophetic.  Here is a quote from page 51, "A single flight of planes no bigger than a wedge of geese can quickly end this island fantasy, burn the towers, crumble the bridges, turn the underground passages into lethal chambers, cremate the millions."

The book is not all pessimistic, on the contrary, it is pleasant reading about our largest city, but this certainly caught my eye.


View all my reviews

Comments

Miss G said…
whoa! That is wild. Maybe I should actually read the book instead of just decorate with it. :) Kelly
Wow! That was prophetic!

Popular posts from this blog

Love Present from a Friend

Skippyjon Jones and Kohl's

Swing High, Swing Low