Old School Made New Again

Call me crazy (and some people in my family do),
but I absolutely LOVE school buildings.
I have spent a great deal of time in
school buildings since I was 6 years old,
and without revealing my age, just let me 
tell you that is a VERY long time.

So imagine my delight, when just a couple
of blocks from my doctor's office
is a school building that was closed
down several years ago and
has now been revitalized into
shops, bakeries, restaurants, and offices.

I stopped by today for a visit.

This was the front of the school.
Lincoln Elementary School
Established in 1948.
Before I was born.
This is the second Lincoln
Elementary so probably not quite
that old.

The playground is still there behind a chain link fence.

I'm not sure if this is a new addition or even
exactly what this is.  Help anyone?

Check out the "classroom" door with double
glass windows.  That's so the first
grader's mom can peek in to
be sure her child has stopped crying.

There is a beautiful mural on the outside of the
school.  Again, I had to take a picture
through the chain link fence.

This could be just about any school picture
taken years ago.
I wonder what these educators
and children are doing now.

The old water fountain is still there.
I didn't try it out.  I should have.



A nice view of the outside of the school.

And of course, every school proudly flies the
Stars and Stripes.
I remember the Flag Patrol from my Elementary
School, A. B. Freeman Elementary.
They were the special few who
had the privilege of raising and
lowering the flag each day.

This picture, in the hallway, was the first school
on the site.  Notice the "school bus"
in front of the school.

There are places to sit and relax in the original hallway.

Another view of the Hallway.
I wish there had been Fit-Bits
back in my schooldays.
I could have racked up a lot of steps.

Another closer view of the front of the school.



I wonder who rode this great bicycle to school.
Thanks Lincoln Leopards for
helping me to walk down Memory Lane today.
School houses do not teach themselves - piles of brick and mortar and machinery do not send out men. It is the trained, living human soul, cultivated and strengthened by long study and thought, that breathes the real breath of life into boys and girls and makes them human, whether they be black or white, Greek, Russian or American.

W. E. B. Du Bois





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love Present from a Friend

Skippyjon Jones and Kohl's

Swing High, Swing Low